My Honest Focus

When I think about Christian education at E3, I don’t merely think about weaving Biblical principles into the various subjects students take.  I don’t even think about the weekly chapels with special guest speakers we hope to launch.  Nor do I dwell on the conformance of students to our Godly principles and codes of conduct. My mind’s focus is not on the amount of indoctrination we can cram into the minds of those who walk these halls each day while attending our academy.

It is so much more than that.  In fact, though it may sound off on first hearing, I do not give any time to the thoughts I listed above. I’m not interested in them just hearing and retaining spiritual knowledge. I’m really not interested in them conforming to an image we as a staff paint for them about what a good Christian looks like. You see, it has nothing to do with my thinking or my desires for each student. My hope for them centers around one thing…..God.

Do they know Him or do they just know of Him?  Is there a relationship and covenant between them and the Lord or is it just Bible stories that have no relevance in their life?  Does the Holy Spirit reside in them or is He an unwelcome guest? Do they truly understand the substitutionary atonement or do they still walk in a cloud of guilt and shame? Do they embrace the idea that they are created in the image of God who loves them dearly or do they feel unwanted and unlovable?  Are they headed to an eternal life with Christ or have they settled for lies that lead to the wide road of eternal damnation?

If I have just one brief moment of time with them, will they see Jesus?  Will I be a good reflection of His grace, mercy and unconditional love? Will they see passion in action or merely a shadow of the abundant life God promises?  Will they see truth walked out and begin to question could this actually be real?  Will I be quick to listen and slow to anger?  When I do fail, will I be quick to seek forgiveness.  Will I live the life that mirrors my Savior’s so that they will see a God outside of classroom teachings, chapel applications and daily devotionals?

You see, my focus is on my walk with the Lord and not on what I can teach them with carefully crafted lessons.  My focus is on my covenant with my God to live a life that is holy and above reproach. So, when I work with the staff and the students, my prayer is that it is an outflow of the transformation the Holy Spirit is continuing to do in me as He promises to finish the good work He has begun.

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,  that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height—  to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.  Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever.  Ephesians 3: 14-21

Lord, grant me the strength to be Your servant to the staff and students of E3 Christian Academy.  Continue to do a work that only You can do in me to make me be a better reflection of my Savior.  May Your goodness shine through in every word spoken and deed accomplished.  May You truly be lifted up so that all will be drawn to You. Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts